Academic AdviserJob role: Adviser Advice Area: Education Organisation: Reading University Students' Union Job type:Permanent Working hours: Full time Location: South East Salary: £23,280 to £28,341 p.a. Job ref number: Closing date: 29-07-2019
Full time: 35 hours per week
Reading University Students’ Union (RUSU) is looking for an Academic Adviser to join the Advice & Representation Department. Our advice work includes providing confidential and specialist advice for students in four key areas: housing, money, academic and welfare. All advisers undertake general student advice, guidance and support as part of the Advice Team.
The Academic Adviser has responsibility for the provision of specialised advice on academic and educational matters. This role will develop working relationships with key stakeholders, support initiatives which develop campaigning activities and work with University support services, schools and departments on educational and academic matters.
We are looking for a friendly and approachable individual with a keen interest in working with students as well as an understanding of the key issues affecting students in higher education. Advice training will provided as required.
The ideal candidates should have the following knowledge or skills:
- Good knowledge of higher education system and issues affecting students
- Awareness of legislation affecting higher education students
- Awareness of legislation relating to housing
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Understanding of confidentiality and conflict of interest
- Organisational and time management skills
- Able to give written and verbal information in a clear and concise manner
- Able to process and understand complex information
- Understanding of diversity issues
The ideal candidates should have had previous experience of:
- Studying or working in higher education sector
- Working or volunteering in an advisory or support role
- Working or volunteering with a culturally diverse client group
- Managing multiple tasks and a diverse workload
- Undertaking administrative duties
- Working effectively on own initiative
The Advice Service is accredited by the Advice Service Alliance Advice Quality Standard. Reading University Students’ Union is a student-led charity which exists to support students and enhance their University experience. We are a dynamic, forward thinking organisation aiming to bring inclusive services and facilities to our members. Our members are 17,000 students from over 150 countries who are registered and study at the University of Reading.
For further information and an application pack please contact email to email@example.com or telephone 0118 378 4100. For further information about the organisation please visit our website www.RUSU.co.uk
Closing date for receipt of completed application forms is Monday 29 July with interviews on Wednesday 7 August.
RUSU is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce, applications for job-share, part-time and flexible working arrangements are welcomed and will be considered in line with business needs.